Broadstairs is a coastal town upon the Isle of Thanet in the Thanet district of east Kent, England, about 80 miles (130 km) east of London. It is part of the civil parish of Broadstairs and St Peter’s, which includes St Peter’s, and had a population in 2011 of about 25,000. Situated amongst Margate and Ramsgate, Broadstairs is one of Thanet’s seaside resorts, known as the “jewel in Thanet’s crown”. The town’s jacket of arms’s Latin axiom is Stella Maris (“Star of the Sea”). The reveal derives from a former flight of steps in the chalk cliff, which led from the sands happening to the 11th-century shrine of St Mary on the cliff’s summit.
The town spreads from Haine Road in the west to Kingsgate (named after the landing of King Charles II in 1683), a hamlet in St Peter parish in the north, and to Dumpton in the south (named after the yeoman Dudeman who farmed there in the 13th century). The hamlet of Reading (formerly Reden or Redyng) Street was traditional by Flemish refugees in the 17th century.