Burntwood is a former mining town and civil parish, it is now a suburban town of the Lichfield District in Staffordshire, England, approximately 4 miles (6 km) west of Lichfield and north east of Brownhills. The town had a population of 26,049 at the times of the 2011 census and forms share of Lichfield district. The town forms one of the largest urbanised parishes in England. Samuel Johnson opened an academy in easily reached Edial in 1736. The town is house to the smallest park in the UK, Prince’s Park, which is located adjacent to Christ Church on the junction of Farewell Lane and Church Road. The town expanded in the nineteenth century approximately the coal mining industry.
Areas of Burntwood are Boney Hay, Chase Terrace, Chasetown, Gorstey Lea and Burntwood Green. Nearby places are Brownhills, Cannock, Cannock Wood, Norton Canes, Gentleshaw, Pipehill, Muckley Corner, Hammerwich and Lichfield.
In July 2009 a Burntwood man, Terry Herbert, discovered a buildup of Saxon treasure with a metal detector in a ground in the adjoining village of Hammerwich. Known as the Staffordshire Hoard, it is the largest growth of Anglo-Saxon gold yet found.