Campbeltown (/ˈkæmbəltən/ (listen); Scottish Gaelic: Ceann Loch Chille Chiarain or Ceann Locha) is a town and former royal burgh in Argyll and Bute, Scotland. It lies by Campbeltown Loch upon the Kintyre peninsula. Originally known as Kinlochkilkerran (an anglicization of the Gaelic, which means “head of the loch by the kirk of Ciarán”), it was renamed in the 17th century as Campbell’s Town after Archibald Campbell (Earl of Argyle) was fixed the site in 1667. Campbeltown became an important middle for Scotch whisky, and a active fishing port.
The 2018 population estimate was 4,600 indicating a dwindling since the 2011 Census.