Carmarthen (/kɑːrˈmɑːrðən/; Welsh: Caerfyrddin [kɑːɨrˈvərðɪn], “Merlin’s fort” or “Sea-town fort”) is the county town of Carmarthenshire in Wales and a community. It lies on the River Towy 8 miles (13 km) north of its estuary in Carmarthen Bay. Carmarthen has a affirmation to be the oldest town in Wales – Old Carmarthen and New Carmarthen became one borough in 1546. Carmarthen was the most populous borough in Wales in the 16th–18th centuries, described by William Camden as “the chief citie of the country”. Growth was stagnating by the mid-19th century, as new centres developed in the South Wales coalfield. The population in 2011 was 14,185, down from 15,854 in 2001.Dyfed–Powys Police headquarters, Glangwili General Hospital and a campus of the University of Wales Trinity Saint David are located in Carmarthen.