Cheadle Hulme /ˈtʃiːdəl ˈhjuːm/ is a suburb in the Metropolitan Borough of Stockport, Greater Manchester, England.Historically in Cheshire, it is 2.3 miles (3.7 km) south-west of Stockport and 7.5 miles (12.1 km) south-east of Manchester. It lies in the Ladybrook Valley upon the Cheshire Plain, and the drift consists mostly of boulder clay, sands and gravels. In 2011, it had a population of 26,479.
Evidence of Bronze Age, Roman, and Anglo-Saxon activity, including coins, jewellery and axes, has been discovered locally. The area was first mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 in imitation of it was a large home which included neighbouring Cheadle. In the forward 14th century it was split into southern and northern parts at virtually the sophisticated locations of Cheadle Hulme and Cheadle, respectively. The area was acquired by the Moseley relations in the 17th century and became known as Cheadle Moseley. Unlike many English villages it did not grow on the subject of a church; instead it formed from several hamlets, many of which retain their names as neighbourhoods within Cheadle Hulme. In the late 19th century Cheadle Hulme was joined with Cheadle, Gatley and further neighbouring places to form the urban district of Cheadle and Gatley. This district was abolished in 1974 and Cheadle Hulme became a determined place in its own right, as part of the Metropolitan Borough of Stockport.
Cheadle Hulme has a railway station and is close to both Manchester Airport, the M60 and the A34.