Chester-le-Street (/ˈtʃɛstərlistriːt/) is a town in County Durham, England. Its records goes put happening to to the building of a Roman fort called Concangis. This Roman fort is the “Chester” (from the Latin castra) of the town’s name; the “Street” refers to the paved Roman road that ran north–south through the town, and which is now called Front Street.
Chester-le-Street is located 7 miles (11 km) south of Newcastle on Tyne and 8 miles (13 km) west of Sunderland on the River Wear. The parish church of St Mary and St Cuthbert is where the body of St Cuthbert remained for 112 years in the past being transferred to Durham Cathedral, and the site of the first translation of the Gospels into English, Aldred writing the Old English gloss between the lines of the Lindisfarne Gospels there.
A announce town, the town holds markets Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
From 1894 until 2009 the town had its own local meting out district. Originally from 1894, this was the Chester-le-Street Rural District, which covered the town and several outlying villages. In 1909 the inner share of the Rural District was on bad terms out to form the additional Chester-le-Street Urban District Council, which covered the town as it was at that time. By 1974, however, the town of Chester-le-Street had expanded far exceeding the boundary of the Urban District and during that year’s Local Government reorganisation, the Urban District was amalgamated behind parts of the unshakable Rural District to form the additional Chester-le-Street District. The Chester-le-Street District Council was abolished in 2009 taking into account County Durham became a unitary authority as portion of the 2009 structural changes to local direction in England, a put on that was controversial at the time.