East Kilbride (/ˌiːst kɪlˈbraɪd/; Scottish Gaelic: Cille Bhrìghde an Ear) is the largest town in South Lanarkshire in Scotland and the country’s 6th largest settlement. It was next designated Scotland’s first further town on 6 May 1947. The area lies on a raised plateau to the south of the Cathkin Braes, about 8 miles (13 km) southeast of Glasgow and near to the boundary subsequently East Renfrewshire. East Kilbride is twinned behind the Danish city Ballerup.
The town is enclosed by the White Cart Water to the west and the Rotten Calder Water to the east, the latter flowing northwards against Blantyre, before joining the River Clyde opposite Daldowie close Cambuslang. This area was back the site of the small village of East Kilbride, prior to its post-war evolve into a New Town. The outdated village still survives and is integrated subsequently the town close to its town centre.