Gatehouse of Fleet (Scots: Gatehoose o Fleet Scottish Gaelic: Taigh an Rathaid) is a town in the civil parish of Girthon, Kirkcudbrightshire, within the district council region of Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland, which has existed since the mid-18th century, although the area has been inhabited since much earlier. Much of its further was attributable to the swashbuckler James Murray’s decision to build his summer home, Cally House there in 1763. The home is now the Cally Palace Hotel.
Over the neighboring hundred years, the town developed into a centre for industry, particularly cotton mills. The western gate to the town is dominated by the imposing Cardoness Castle. Gatehouse of Fleet is the birthplace of Victorian player John Faed. The well-known inventor of clockwork mechanisms, Robert Williamson, was furthermore known to have set happening a workshop in the town in 1778, which burned to the ground (and claimed his life) in 1794.
The town takes its post from its location near the mouth of the river called the Water of Fleet which empties into Wigtown Bay at Fleet Bay, and its former role as the “Gait House” or “the House upon the Road upon the River Fleet” or toll booth of the late 18th century stagecoach route from Dumfries to Stranraer, now the A75 road. It was a quay along this route, and travellers would often stop in the Place rather than furthering the journey at night due to the high numbers of bandits and highwaymen at the time.
Cally House was meant by Robert Mylne and built in 1763. The home was sold in 1933 and became a hotel, which opened in 1934. It was used as a residential theoretical for evacuees from Glasgow during the Second World War, reopening as an hotel in the later 1940s.
The pact of Anwoth is one mile (1.5 km) to the west of Gatehouse of Fleet; this is where Samuel Rutherford was minister from 1627 to 1636.