Haxby is a small town and civil parish in the unitary authority of City of York, on the River Foss, five miles (8 km) north of York and south of Strensall, in North Yorkshire, England. Historically portion of the North Riding of Yorkshire, Haxby is bordered on the east by the River Foss, and to the west by the village of Wigginton, whose go forward has caused the two settlements to form a continuous urban environment. To the south is the garden village of New Earswick and the York Outer Ring Road (A1237) with the admission farmland to the north as far as the villages of Sutton-on-the-Forest and Strensall.
According to the 2001 census the parish had a population of 8,754, reducing to 8,428 at the 2011 Census. Before 1996 it was ration of the Ryedale district. The middle of the town was made a Conservation Area by the local council in 1976.
“Haxby” is a Norse place-name and translates as “Farmstead or village of a man called Hákr”. It is formed from a Norse personal broadcast and the Old Scandinavian word bý, meaning “farmstead, village or settlement”. Haxby was recorded as Haxebi in the Domesday Book of 1086. The town is primarily a dormitory for commuters to simple towns and cities, though local serve industries give employment opportunities.