Ivybridge /ˈaɪvibrɪdʒ/ (listen) is a small town and civil parish in the South Hams, in Devon, England. It lies not quite 9 miles (14.5 km) east of Plymouth. It is at the southern depth of Dartmoor, a National Park of England and Wales and lies along the A38 “Devon Expressway” road. There are two electoral wards in Ivybridge East and Ivybridge West taking into account a total population of 11,851.
Mentioned in documents as before as the 13th century, Ivybridge’s in the future history is marked by its status as an important crossing-point higher than the River Erme on the Exeter-to-Plymouth route. In the 16th century mills were built using the River Erme’s power. The parish of Saint John was formed in 1836. Ivybridge became a civil parish in 1894 and a town in 1977.
The early urbanisation and press on of Ivybridge largely coincided later than the Industrial Revolution. Stowford Paper Mill was built in 1787 and rebuilt again in the 1860s subsequently extensive investment. In 1848 the railway arrived upon the northern edge of the village [South Devon Railway Company]. The paper mill closed in 2013 after 226 years in Ivybridge and the buildings are creature converted to homes and shops. Although occasionally referred to as a dormitory town, many people bill in the town itself, and agriculture continues to law an economic role for Ivybridge’s hinterland. The area surrounding Ivybridge is just about completely farmland.
While close industry diminished during the latter half of the 20th century, the population grew significantly from 1,574 people in 1921 to 12,056 in 2001.