Low Fell is a suburb of Gateshead situated in the Metropolitan Borough of Gateshead in Tyne and Wear, England. Built predominantly upon sandstone, grindstone and clay, it is bordered by Sheriff Hill/Deckham to the east, Saltwell/Bensham to the west, Harlow Green to the south and Shipcote to the north. The suburb lies on a major bus route 2.5 miles (4.0 kilometres) south of Gateshead centre, 3 miles (4.8 kilometres) south of the city of Newcastle on Tyne and 12 miles (19 kilometres) north of the historic City of Durham. The principal road in the suburb is the A167. According to the 2001 UK census, the suburb had a population of 8,643, falling marginally to 8,636 at the 2011 census.
For centuries little more than portion of a windswept, barren and treacherous heath, the settlement at Low Fell was initially time-honored by a moderate influx of tinkers and miners in the 18th century. Gateshead Fell was initially incorporated into the Municipal Borough of Gateshead in 1835 and next the County Borough of Gateshead in 1889. More recently, it was formally incorporated into the newly formed Metropolitan Borough of Gateshead by the Local Government Act 1972 which took effect upon 1 April 1974.
One of the more populous of the two dozen or in view of that villages which now comprise the Metropolitan Borough of Gateshead, Low Fell has a long and rich history. In stark contrast to the industrial money stirring front of its close neighbour Sheriff Hill, the agreement at Low Fell developed through the building of a other road to bypass the steep turnpike road which ran through Sheriff Hill, which in approach encouraged both private enterprise (particularly public houses) and the incumbency of dozens of wealthy individuals who built substantial villas in which they could make off the dirt and grime of 19th century Newcastle on Tyne.
Several of these villas remain today and contribute to the dozen Grade II listed buildings in the suburb, which has continued to build into an affluent area with a village feel. The suburb is house to several schools and churches. The principal landmark in the suburb is St Helen’s Church, although next located in the deal is Underhill, the house of Sir Joseph Swan and the first domestic property in the world to be illuminated by electric light. England international cricketer Graham Onions is a current resident of the suburb.