Market Harborough is a present town within the Harborough district of Leicestershire, England. It is situated in the far away southeast of the county, forming ration of the be heavy to with Northamptonshire.
Harborough District has a population of 91,461 (2017) and Market Harborough is the district’s administrative headquarters. It sits on the Northamptonshire-Leicestershire border. The town was formerly at a crossroads for both road and rail; however the A6 now bypasses the town to the east and the A14 which carries east-west traffic is 6 miles (9.7 km) to the south. Market Harborough railway station is served by East Midlands Railway services on the Midland Main Line with take in hand services north to Leicester, Nottingham, Derby and Sheffield and south to London St Pancras. Rail facilities to Rugby and Peterborough over and ended with in 1966.
Market Harborough is located in an Place which was formerly a part of the Rockingham Forest, a royal hunting forest used by the medieval monarchs starting following William I. Rockingham Road takes its proclaim from the forest. The forest’s original boundaries stretched from Market Harborough through to Stamford and included the settlements at Corby, Kettering, Desborough, Rothwell, Thrapston and Oundle.
The steeple of St Dionysius’ Church rises directly from the street, as there is no churchyard. It was build up in grey rock in 1300 with the church itself a later building of very nearly 1470. Next to the church stands the Old Grammar School, a small timber building dating from 1614. The arena floor is open, creating a covered market area and there is a single room on the first floor. It has become a fable of the town. The nearby square is largely pedestrianised and in the middle of buildings of varying styles. The upper fade away of the High Street is wide and contains mostly unspoiled Georgian buildings.
Market Harborough has two villages within its confines: Great Bowden lies over a hill not quite a mile from the town centre; Little Bowden is less than half a mile from the town centre. The three centres have largely coalesced through ribbon go forward and infill, although Great Bowden continues to preserve a strong village identity.