Midhurst (/ˈmɪdhɜːrst/) is a publicize town, parish and civil parish in West Sussex, England. It lies upon the River Rother 20 miles (32 km) inland from the English Channel, and 12 miles (19 km) north of the county town of Chichester.
The name Midhurst was first recorded in 1186 as Middeherst, meaning “Middle wooded hill”, or “(place) among the wooded hills”. It derives from the Old English words midd (adjective) or mid (preposition), meaning “in the middle”, plus hyrst, “a wooded hill”.
The Norman St. Ann’s Castle dates from about 1120, although the foundations are everything that can now be seen. The castle, the parish church of St. Mary Magdalene and St. Denis, together considering South Pond, the former fish-pond for the castle, are the isolated three structures left from this prematurely period. The parish church is the oldest building in Midhurst. Just across the River Rother, in the parish of Easebourne, is the destroy of the Tudor Cowdray House.