Milford Haven (Welsh: Aberdaugleddau, meaning “mouth of the two Rivers Cleddau”) is a town and community in Pembrokeshire, Wales. It is situated upon the north side of the Milford Haven Waterway, an estuary forming a natural harbour that has been used as a harbor since the Middle Ages. Founded in 1790 by Sir William Hamilton, designed to a grid pattern, it was originally intended to be a whaling centre, though by 1800 it was developing as a Royal Navy dockyard which it remained until the dockyard was transferred to Pembroke in 1814. It next became a flyer dock, with the focus heartwarming in the 1960s, after the construction of an oil refinery built by Esso, to logistics for fuel oil and liquid gas. By 2010, the town’s harbor had become the fourth largest in the United Kingdom in terms of tonnage, and continues its important role in the United Kingdom’s computer graphics sector considering several oil refineries and one of the biggest LNG terminals in the world.
Milford Haven is the most populous unity in the county, with a population of 12,830 in the town, and 13,086 within its six community boundaries. The community of Milford Haven covers an Place of 1,573 hectares (6.07 sq mi) and includes the Milford Central, East, Hakin, Hubberston, North and West wards.
The natural harbour of the Haven was known as a safe port and was exploited for several historical military operations throughout the second millennium. Campaigns conducted from the Haven included portion of the attack of Ireland in 1171 by Henry II and by Cromwell in 1649. Forces which have disembarked at the narrowing include Jean II de Rieux’s 1405 reinforcement of the Glyndŵr Rising. In 1485, the innovative Henry VII landed near to his birthplace in Mill Bay before marching upon to England.