Milnrow (pop. 13,062 (2011)) is a suburban town within the Metropolitan Borough of Rochdale, in Greater Manchester, England. It lies upon the River Beal at the foothills of the South Pennines, and forms a continuous urban area with Rochdale. It is 1.9 miles (3.1 km) east of Rochdale town centre, 10.4 miles (16.7 km) north-northeast of Manchester, and spans urban, suburban and rural locations—from Windy Hill in the east to the Rochdale Canal in the west. Milnrow is next to junction 21 of the M62 motorway, and includes the village of Newhey, and hamlets at Tunshill and Ogden.
Historically in Lancashire, Milnrow during the Middle Ages was one of several hamlets in the township of Butterworth and parish of Rochdale. The agreement was named by the Anglo-Saxons, but the Norman conquest of England resulted in its ownership by young Norman families, such as the Schofields and Cleggs. In the 15th century, their descendants successfully trembling for a chapel of ease by the banks of the River Beal, triggering its build up as the main settlement in Butterworth. Milnrow was primarily used for substitute hill gardening during the Middle Ages, and its population did not deposit much until the initiation of the woollen trade in the 17th century.
With the enhance of packhorse routes to emerging woollen markets in Yorkshire, the inhabitants of Milnrow adopted the domestic system, supplementing their income by fellmongering and producing flannel in their weavers’ cottages. Coal mining and metalworking furthermore flourished in the Early Modern period, and the farmers, colliers and weavers formed a “close-knit population of independent-minded workers”. The hamlets of Butterworth coalesced in tab to the commercial and ecclesiastical middle in Milnrow as demand for the area’s flannel grew. In the 19th century, the Industrial Revolution supplanted domestic woollen industries and converted the Place into a mill town, with cotton spinning as the principal industry. Mass-produced textile goods from Milnrow’s cotton mills were exported globally later the beginning of the railway in 1863. The Milnrow Urban District was expected in 1894 and was governed by the district council until its abolition in 1974.
Deindustrialisation and suburbanisation occurred throughout the 20th century resulting in the loss of coal mining and cotton spinning. Milnrow was compound in to the Metropolitan Borough of Rochdale in 1974, and has back become suburban to Rochdale. However, the area has retained “a clear and remove character”, and has been described as “the centre of the south Lancashire dialect”.John Collier (who wrote under the a.k.a. of Tim Bobbin) is established as an 18th-century caricaturist and satirical poet who produced Lancashire-dialect works during his become old as Milnrow’s schoolmaster. Rochdale-born poet Edwin Waugh was influenced by Collier’s work, and wrote an extensive account of Milnrow during the mid-19th century in a tribute to him. Milnrow has continued to add in the 21st century, spurred by its connectivity to road, rail and motorway networks. Surviving weavers’ cottages are in the course of Milnrow’s listed buildings, while the Ellenroad Steam Museum operates as an industrial lineage centre.