Minehead is a coastal town and civil parish in Somerset, England. It lies upon the south bank of the Bristol Channel, 21 miles (34 km) north-west of the county town of Taunton, 12 miles (19 km) from the border with the county of Devon and in proximity of the Exmoor National Park. The parish of Minehead has a population of nearly 11,981 making it the most populous town in the western allocation of the Somerset West and Taunton local management district, which in turn, is the worst Place in the country for social mobility. This figure includes Alcombe and Woodcombe, suburban villages which have been subsumed into Minehead.
There is evidence of human interest in the area since the Bronze and Iron Ages. Before the Norman conquest it was held by Ælfgar, Earl of Mercia and after it by William de Moyon and his descendants, who administered the Place from Dunster Castle, which was vanguard sold to Sir George Luttrell and his family. There was a small port at Minehead by 1380, which grew into a major trading centre during the medieval period. Most trade transferred to larger ports during the 20th century, but pleasure steamers did call at the port. Major rebuilding took place in the Lower or Middle town area following a ember in 1791 and the fortunes of the town revived afterward the mass in sea bathing, and by 1851 was becoming a retirement centre. There was a marked deposit in building during the before years of the 20th century, which resulted in the broad main shopping avenue and next roads taking into account Edwardian style architecture. The town’s flood defences were greater than before after a storm in 1990 caused flooding.
Minehead is governed by a town council, which was created in 1983. In supplement to the parish church of St. Michael on the Hill in Minehead, the surgically remove parish church of St Michael the Archangel is situated in Church Street, Alcombe. Alcombe is also house to the Spiritualist Church in Grove Place. Since 1991, Minehead has been twinned similar to Saint-Berthevin, a little town close to the regional centre of Laval in the Mayenne département of France. Blenheim Gardens, which is Minehead’s largest park, was opened in 1925. The town is with the house of a Butlins Holiday Park which increases Minehead’s seasonal tourist population by several thousand.
There is a variety of schools and religious, cultural and sporting facilities including sailing and wind surfing and golf. One popular ancient local tradition involves the Hobby Horse, or Obby Oss, which takes to the streets for four days upon the eve of the first of May each year, with accompanying musicians and opposition horses. The town is the starting reduction of the South West Coast Path National Trail, the nation’s longest long-distance countryside walking trail. The Minehead Railway was opened in 1874 and closed in 1971 but has past been reopened as the West Somerset Railway.