Newry (/ˈnjʊəri/; from Irish: An Iúraigh) is a city in Northern Ireland, divided by the Clanrye river in counties Armagh and Down, 34 miles (55 km) from Belfast and 67 miles (108 km) from Dublin. It had a population of 26,967 in 2011.
Newry was founded in 1144 alongside a Cistercian monastery, although there are references to earlier settlements in the area, and is one of Ireland’s oldest towns. The city is an gate to the “Gap of the North”, 5 miles (8 km) from the border with the Republic of Ireland. It grew as a promote town and a garrison and became a port in 1742 taking into account it was amalgamated to Lough Neagh by the first summit-level canal built in Ireland or Great Britain. A cathedral city, it is the episcopal seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Dromore. In 2002, as allocation of Queen Elizabeth’s Golden Jubilee celebrations, Newry was arranged city status along following Lisburn.