Northallerton (/nɔːrˈθælərtən/ nor-THAL-ər-tən) is a make known town and civil parish in the Hambleton district of North Yorkshire, England. It lies in the Vale of Mowbray and at the northern fall of the Vale of York. It had a population of 15,741 according to the 2001 census, which had risen to 16,832 in 2011. It has served as the county town of the North Riding of Yorkshire and past 1974, of North Yorkshire. Northallerton is made stirring of four wards, North, Broomfield, Romanby and Central.
There has been a pact at Northallerton previously Roman times, however its enlargement in importance began in the 11th century like King William II clever land to the Bishop of Durham. Under the Bishop’s authority Northallerton became an important middle for religious affairs. It was afterward a focus for much proceedings in subsequent years amid the English and the Scots, most notably the Battle of the Standard, nearby in 1138, which saying losses of as many as 12,000 men.
In well ahead years trade and transport became more important. The surrounding Place was discovered to have large phosphorus reserves which brought industry to Northallerton due to the simple trade routes. Lying on the main route between Edinburgh and London it became an important stopping reduction for coaches travelling the route, eventually superseded by the buildup of the railways in the 19th century. Lying in the middle of a large rural Place Northallerton was acknowledged as a spread around town in 1200 by Royal Charter, and there is still a broadcast in the town today.
It continues to be a major retail middle for the local area. As the administrative middle for Hambleton district and the county of North Yorkshire, the councils, and several extra associated public sector organisations have their headquarters in the town.