Prestonpans /prɛstənˈpænz/ is a little fishing town east of Edinburgh, Scotland, in the unitary council area of East Lothian. Since the 2001 census recorded the population as 7,153, new houses have drawn many extra residents. It is the site of the Battle of Prestonpans, fought in 1745, and has records dating from the eleventh century. The town’s important historical architecture includes Preston Tower and the doocot and the local Mercat Cross, which is the abandoned one of its nice in Scotland which remains in its original form and location. Prestonpans is “Scotland’s Mural Town”, with many murals depicting local history.