Royal Wootton Bassett /ˈrɔɪəl ˈwʊtən ˈbæsɪt/, formerly Wootton Bassett, is a small market town and civil parish in Wiltshire, England, with a population of 11,043 in 2001, increasing to 11,385 in 2011. Situated in the north of the county, it lies 6 miles (10 km) to the west of the major town of Swindon and 10 miles (16 km) northeast of Calne.
From 1447 until 1832 Wootton Bassett was a parliamentary borough which elected two Members of Parliament (MPs) to the House of Commons. In 1832 it was deemed a rotten borough and abolished by the Great Reform Act.
The town was contracted royal patronage in March 2011 by Elizabeth II in admission of its role in the early-21st-century military funeral repatriations, which passed through the town. This honour was officially conferred in a ceremony upon 16 October 2011 – the first royal patronage to be conferred on a town (as distinguished from a borough or county) since 1909.