Runcorn is an industrial town and cargo port in the Borough of Halton in Cheshire, England. Its population in 2011 was 61,789. The town is in the southeast of the Liverpool City Region upon the southern bank of the River Mersey where the estuary narrows to form the Runcorn Gap. To the north across the River Mersey is Widnes, with Warrington 7 miles (11 km) to the northeast and Liverpool 11 miles (18 km) to the northwest.
Runcorn was founded by Ethelfleda in 915 AD as a fortification to guard against Viking injury at a narrowing of the River Mersey. Under Norman rule, Runcorn fell below the Barony of Halton and an Augustinian abbey was normal here in 1115. It remained a small, isolated harmony until the Industrial Revolution as soon as the further explanation of the Bridgewater Canal to Runcorn in 1776 customary it as a harbor which would member Liverpool as soon as inland Manchester and Staffordshire. The docks enabled the layer of industry, initially shipwrights and sandstone quarries. In the late 18th and before 19th centuries, it was a spa and health resort but this ended when the increase of polluting industries, especially soap and chemical works. In 1964, Runcorn was designated a new town and expanded eastward, swallowing neighbouring settlements and greater than doubling its population.
Three bridges span the River Mersey and the Manchester Ship Canal at Runcorn: the Silver Jubilee Bridge, Mersey Gateway, and Runcorn Railway Bridge. Its location surrounded by Liverpool and Manchester and its links to the rail, motorway and canal networks have made it a centre for logistics, manufacturing, energy, and wholesale and retail. The town’s axiom is Navem Mercibus Implere (Latin for “fill the boat with goods”), a classical suggestion from Juvenal.