Skelmersdale /ˈskɛlmərzˌdeɪl/ is a town in West Lancashire, England, on the River Tawd, 6 miles (10 km) west of Wigan, 13 miles (21 km) northeast of Liverpool and 15 miles (24 km) southwest of Preston. In 2006, it had a population of 38,813. The town is known locally as Skem /ˈskɛm/.
The first recorded use of the proclaim Skelmersdale appears in the Domesday Book of 1086. It was below the believe to be of Uctred as portion of the hundred of West Derby.
The urbanisation and progress of Skelmersdale largely coincided in imitation of the Industrial Revolution. Industrial scale coal mining began in the to the front 19th century and continued to press on during that century to find the allowance for rise to Skelmersdale as an important colliery village. The town forms ration of the Wigan Urban Area.
Skelmersdale was designated as a further town in 1961.