Welshpool (Welsh: Y Trallwng) is a town and community in Wales, historically in the county of Montgomeryshire, but currently administered as portion of the unitary authority of Powys. The town is situated 4 miles (6.4 km) from the Wales–England affix and low-lying upon the River Severn; its Welsh language proclaim Y Trallwng means “the marshy or sinking land”. Welshpool is the fourth largest town in Powys. The community includes Cloddiau and Pool Quay.
In English it was initially known as Pool but its publicize was distorted to Welshpool in 1835 to distinguish it from the English town of Poole. It has a population of 6,664 (United Kingdom Census 2011), contains much Georgian architecture and is just north of Powis Castle.