Windy Nook is a village in Tyne and Wear, England, bordered by Carr Hill to the west, Leam Lane Estate to the east, Felling to the north and Sheriff Hill to the south. It lies upon steep, sloping house 2.25 miles (3.62 km) south of Gateshead, 2.75 miles (4.43 km) south of Newcastle upon Tyne and 12 miles (19 km) north of Durham. In 2011, the Windy Nook and Whitehills ward had a population of 9,781. Formerly ration of Heworth, it was incorporated into the newly formed Metropolitan Borough of Gateshead upon 1 April 1974.
Windy Nook has a long industrial history, with evidence of milling and pottery in the area. The principal industry, however, was stone quarrying, and the initial harmony grew as this industry flourished. By the point of view of the 19th century, several quarries operated in Windy Nook and the largest, Kell’s Quarry, provided the sandstone and grindstone used to build St Alban’s Church, a Grade II listed building and principal landmark in the village, which was consecrated upon 25 August 1842.
The end in industry in the 20th century wise saying the population fall to pre-industrial levels. Though today an urban suburb, there are no large flyer areas and the other Tesco hoard is the largest employer. There remains large areas of green space, however, and it is a popular and high-demand place to live. Residents compare favourably in the same way as others in the borough in terms of income, employment levels and learned qualifications.
Windy Nook Nature Reserve is a protected wildlife area, as skillfully as one of the largest environmental sculptures in Europe. Mary Elizabeth Wilson, a serial killer, was known as The Merry Widow of Windy Nook. Joseph Hopper, founder of the aged mineworkers scheme, and John Oxberry, a prominent historian, also hailed from the village.